Ashkelon, one of the most beautiful cities in the country, lies on the Meditteranean coast the city is mentioned in the Tanah. The mass Aliyah from the former Soviet Union gave a spurt to the development of Ashkelon in the fields of industry and culture in particular. More than 30,000 Russian – speakers now live in the city.
The Hassidic Communal center under the leadership of rabbi Gedalia Melamed, plays an active part in Jewish life here, and immigrants a given a feeling of belonging to a closely-knit and friendly community. The center focuses largely on education and on helping people in need.
Education, cultural programmed
- Lessons on Jewish tradition, Jewish history and Hebrew are given every morning and evening men and women.
- Also monthly lectures for older immigrants at hostels in the city.
- Concerts ofklezmer music take place before Jewish holidays with explanations on the significance of the occasion.
- Parties for children with games, prizes and presents are held every Saturday.
- The centre has a library and shows educational films.
- Prayers are held every Shabbat and holidays.
- Advice on all issues is offered freely toad those seeking it.
- Children are prepared for celebrating the Ber-mit zva and Bat-Mitzva.
- People undergoing conversion are helped.
Social and philanthropic programmers
- Warm lunches daily.
- Three meals on Shabbat after prayers.
- Clothes for those who need them.
- Small scholarships for pensioner who attend lessons every day.
- A weekly brochure on events and activities at the centre is distributed as well as a brochure, on the portion of the week.
- Newspapers magazines. Of Jewish interest.